Thursday, May 5, 2011

Big Bob Gibson BBQ

5-1-11  Trip to Big Bob Gibson BBQ

Sunday Marsha and I decided to travel to Decatur Alabama to eat at Big Bob Gibson's BBQ.  I've been wanting to eat at Bob Gibson's for years, but the hour and a half drive has alway deterred me. Since I've just started this blog, I thought Bob Gibson's would be a great BBQ joint for my first review.  Grocery stores carry their sauces and I've enjoyed licking it off my fingers plenty of times.  Heck, at one time Bob Gibson red sauce was the BBQ sauce I grilled with.  Their red sauce is tangy and sweet, it's kinda like a Memphis style BBQ sauce.  But what put Bob Gibson's on the map and brought bama some BBQ recognition is their white sauce.  They have won so many BBQ championships and awards I can't list them all.

We were eager to fill our stomaches, so we hopped in the car and started our journey north.  As we passed through Gardendale and Fultondale we were in awe and shock of the destruction that tornadoes had caused.  Marsha then told me that a friend of ours had to leave Huntsville because she didn't have any power.  I had checked Bob Gibson's website to make sure they were open on a Sunday, but I had not called. Well, comes to find out they were closed.  It's really sad that our state has suffered so much from these storms, but at the same time I'm really happy to see that the rest of our country has offered their sympathies and help.  Sometimes I feel that other states look down upon Alabamians in just about every way except our food.  

We weren't upset about having to turn around and head back home, just left speechless.

One day Big Bob, one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment